Tuesday 18 September 2012

Filming A Sequence

The first time we got to film a short sequence, I was in a group with three other people. This meant that we all got the opportunity to try out the different roles involved in filming.
Firstly, I was acting, so I learnt that continuity is very important and it makes the experience much easier if the actor is switched on and remembers continuity details.
Secondly, I was the director, which meant I had to call "Standby" to which the other members had to reply "Standby".
The director says "Roll over" to the cameraman to signal them to start the recording.
Then the cameraman called "Rolling" and I followed with, the famous, "Action!"

We explored a variety of shots and while I was the director I got to choose the type of shot we used and how it was framed. I really enjoyed doing this and it was a fun challenge to try to introduce aspects such as the rule of thirds when framing a shot. As well as this, we all checked the exposure, focus and zoom were all in check and each time we set up a new shot, we readjusted the focus (and obviously zoom)

We filmed one wide shot, a few medium shots and a few close ups.
Our sequence was of a girl picking up a phone from a chair, looking at the time, chucking the phone back on the chair and walking away. (everyone had the opportunity to play the girl.
We filmed one wide shot of the whole sequence, to show the location and proxemics; a medium shot of the chair, for which we lowered the tripod to get the chair and camera at the same level; a close up of the actor's face, to show her reaction and a close up of the time, which was the focus of the sequence. This close up is what delivers the information.

I really enjoyed every part of the whole process and I found it to be quite simple. I learnt that continuity is very important and it is something I now strive to pay attention to.

No comments:

Post a Comment