Wednesday 31 October 2012

Cooper's Influence

For our thriller idea, we're focusing on an autistic boy who works frantically to crack a code which leads him to a powerful database of information. When I watched the opening credits for Se7en, it really inspired me and gave me ideas for the opening credits for our own thriller sequence.
I really like the scratchy, non-diegetic sounds effects and think they are responsible for the majority of the creepy atmosphere the audience experiences. I'd like to try to mirror these sound effects, but replace them with computer noises and tapping (on the keyboard). Not only can these set the scene and really heighten the impression that; firstly, the boy knows a lot about computing; but secondly, the sense of excitement and suspense can be increased via the use of beeping and tapping noises which increase in tempo and pitch.

I also really liked the way Cooper portrays the anonymity of the man in the sequence of Se7en through his use of camera angles and editing. A shot I particularly like and would possibly like to replicate, but with our own twist, would be the one, shown below, of anonymous hands, out of focus, turning pages which are in focus.

This is a shot and use of editing which I can imagine being applied to the boy - we see anonymous hands typing from the point of view as if we are in the computer screen, so we see an anonymous body and hands typing frantically - out of focus - but in focus we can see numbers and letters being types in to the command box.

From watching Kyle Cooper's work, I have many similar ideas which I'd like to talk to the rest of my group about and possibly try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment